Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 3, 2012

August Roundup

Luxor graffiti by ibischildLuxor graffiti, a photo by ibischild on Flickr.
This painting is on a different section of the same wall that has the Tahrir (Liberation) angels painted on it. (A Tahrir angel photo was featured on my Aug. 23rd post.)
My Twitter Roundup, once a month or so, will give you an impressionistic pastiche of my life here in Luxor.

5th Aug.--On the busy street leading to the station. Loose donkey trailing rope, trying to avoid the traffic.

6th Aug.--Yesterday, a woman got out of a car and made a sort of high whoop and, whooping again, crossed to a doorway where some men were standing.
How nice! a wedding (though she wasn't making the usual ululation sound.)
No. A funeral.
And there I was walking with a silly grin. Duh!

7th Aug.--One thing your e-bookstore doesn't provide: The opportunity to roam around aimlessly and pick up and browse books at random.

14th Aug.--Everyday sight in Luxor. Man at the end of my street. Long galabeya garment. White cotton head wrap. A surprise, after all this time.

20 Aug.--Luxor was jumping yesterday evening. Folks out for Eid al Fitr, and folks leaving Sunday-evening church service. Folks in Luxor Temple plaza, having fun.

22nd Aug.--Watermelon Car. No, not a lemon--watermelon!

30 Aug--Men down my street, in their little open workshop, filling mattresses with kapok. Pressing it to be even, then sewing anchoring stitches. The mattress has a cotton cover.
I want a kapok mattress! Not hot like polyester. Cool in Luxor heat. And cozy on chilly winter nights.

2 comments:

  1. Kapok...I haven't heard that word in many years. I don't know if they still do, but when I was in the military in the 60's life jackets were filled with kapok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's kapok anyway. The stuff they were using the other day looked like it. Today, I'm not so sure.
      There's a place on the west bank that uses bona fide kapok. Bales of it outside their shop ready for use.
      This shop on my street recycles old filling, whatever it happens to be, by running it through a shredding machine. Don't know how the owner has reached a respectable age without lung disease, from all that dust.

      Delete